Tuesday, May 17, 2005

the meaning and value of liberalism

Let me state from the beginning that anything and everything contained within any issue of tNP is worth reading, digesting, and chewing upon. The focus of this post though is to point out articles (some more than others) specifically related to a broad discussion between various parties (i.e. the Whig Thomists vs. the Augustinian Thomists, Stanley Hauerwas, and many others) on the meaning and value of liberalism. I will provide links from the oldest tNP articles to the newest.

Christian Intellectuals, Embedded and Otherwise

Why Attack Liberalism?

Whig vs. Augustinian Thomists

The Morality of Complacency, from Icarus Fallen

Christianity and Liberalism: Two Alternative Religious Approaches

Slothward Christian Soldiers: Stuck in Traffic Between the Two Cities

Liberalism and Its Meaning for Christians

Understanding Traditionalist Conservatism

The Eighth Capital Sin

---

Plastic Sinners, Plastic Sins

Practicing the Discipline of Place

Epistemology of the Supermarket

---

For me there is a great tension here. I greatly struggle with this topic. I think about it quite often. I don't pretend to have any of the answers, but I continue to search.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good list! I would add Beer's retrospective on C et T in 2.1. Jape's Swarm in 1.1. My introduction to the whole shebang in 1.1. Carnival in NY by Chris Shannon in 1.1. Also Jape's Swarm from 1.2 and 2.1. And Why Catholics Should Be Wary by M. Baxter in 2.1. And perhaps the interview with Andras Visky in 2.1.

Thanks for the love!