Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Anne Rice



GodSpy - Prodigal Daughter: An Interview with Anne Rice

CT - Interview with a Penitent

Rice returns to church, feels shift

Jesus: The Ultimate Supernatural Hero

TCR Musings - Welcome Anne Rice

I am delighted to hear that Anne Rice, the novelist who has invested so much talent in the exploration of the dark side of human fantasy, has begun to publicly drink from the draughts of the Living Water, Jesus Christ. She not only has written a new fanciful book, entitled Christ the Lord, but she has said that her work in the future will focus more and more on the revelation of the Man from Nazareth, who split time in half, and who so obsesses the world---not without reason--- to this very day.

I remember when I had a brief opportunity to interview the late Malcolm Muggeridge in the 1970's I focused in foolishly on whether or not he accepted the biblical account of the Virgin Birth. I remember him looking at me in a disappointed way. Not that it doesn't matter. But I should have given the brilliant man more time to brilliantly process such things and encouraged him to go on with his wonderful witness in comparing the emptiness of the world's grand myths to the Light of the Word, before quizzing him on theology (which I knew little of myself).

Same with Anne Rice. I have heard some rumblings in Christian circles about the completeness of her orthodoxy. To which I must reply that threads of grace lead in time to the fullness of grace if we follow them and give them time, for heaven's sake.

Say what you will, this woman is one of the greatest writers of our time. I remember whimsically picking up Interview with a Vampire some years ago, thinking I wouldn't get past 10 pages, and found myself---forgive the pun---spellbound. It was not just a page turner, but her use of metaphors, her perceptions within a scene and turn of phrase were absolutely captivating.

I for one am delighted such a mind will plumb the depths of the Word made flesh. And I am willing to give her all the time she needs to gather in His fullness, knowing that such a writer will see things we theo-logs have yet to scratch the surface of.

For more on this topic by Stephen Hand read The Catholic Life: A life of Dialogue And Witness

1 comment:

Fred said...

http://www.the-tidings.com/2005/1216/annerice.htm