Tuesday, February 07, 2006

birthday of Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Writer's Almanac

It's the birthday of Laura Ingalls Wilder, (books by this author) born Laura Ingalls near Pepin, Wisconsin (1867). When she was sixty-three years old she started writing about her pioneer childhood in books such as Little House in the Big Woods (1932) and Little House on the Prairie (1935).

When asked why she decided to write these books, she said, "I wanted the children now to understand more about the beginning of things, to know what is behind the things they see—what it is that made America as they know it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She was one of the authors, along with CS Lewis, who formed me as a child and why I am blessed to know and appericate freedom, hard work and faith.

Fr. D.L. Jones said...

My wife is reading the entire series to our children.

Fred said...

I'll forever he leeches in the creek with the Echo Our Father that I learned on the same day that my first grade teacher read to us about the leeches.