Wednesday, February 22, 2006

don Luigi Giussani (October 1922 - 22 February 2005)

Last February I received a late night call from Jonathan (the National Responsible for Communion & Liberation) informing me of Don Gius’ death. Even though I thought it was impossible to attend the wake and funeral in Milano with only a one day notice, I found myself there among my friends. The memory of this experience will forever be with me. It was my way of showing respect to this human man (very much like Christ) who not only changed my life and that of my family, but forever changed the lives of thousands of others. He is a saint, someone who I had the grace to meet and share a meal with. I am not worthy.

Following the funeral at dinner Vitta, the CL Visitor to the U.S., asked each of us, “Where do we go from here? What about the future?” I responded in the following way. First, we must trust in Our Lady. We have a dear friend who is now resting in the arms of Our Lady. Don Gius. can intercede to his mother, to our mother, for those things that we truly desire. Our Lady will advocate those desires to Christ. Second, we cannot plan, organize, direct, or control the future. We must remain open to the movement of the Holy Spirit. We must remain faithful to the gift of the charism which has been given to each of us. We must become more aware of those put in our midst - our families, co-workers, and members of our local fraternities and communities. We must authentically desire their happiness. If we love our spouse, our children, and our friends in this way, life becomes a relationship, a companionship, a daily encounter with Christ. In this way the drama of our daily lives becomes an ever present event where we encounter Christ. It is in this way through the method by which Don Guis. taught us that we can be truly happy. Our Lady lived life in this way and by doing so become our “living spring of hope.” (Canto XXXIII Dante’s Paradise) Our prayers about the future should be rooted in a begging to respond to the uncertainties and problems of life like Christ did during his earthly life, like Our Lady did during her earthly life, and like Don Gius. did during his earthly life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Santo subito!!