Friday, December 28, 2007

I question Romney's Pro-Life claim

I encourage folks to read the transcript or watch the Netcast (scroll to Dec. 16) of Gov. Romney's full hour interview by Tim Russert of Meet the Press. Allow me to highlight a very, very questionable response of Gov. Romney.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe life begins at conception?

GOV. ROMNEY: I do. I believe, I believe from a, from a, a political perspective that life begins at conception. I, I don't, I don't pretend to know, if you will, from a theological standpoint when life begins.
Now hold one second, what exactly does that mean? Let's unpack what Mormons teach theologically about when life begins. For Mormons believe life does not begin at conception but that we are spirit beings before we inhabit our human fleshly bodies. They hold a Gnostic view of life which has direct implications on why they support abortion for cases related to rape or incest and why they support embryonic stem-cell research. Romney is trying to be coy here. He is intentionally misleading many folks to believe that he is fully and totally Pro-Life. He is not and this has something directly to do with his professed faith of his fathers. I'm afraid one has to peel back his comments to understand what the man truly believes.

Refer to my comments in my earlier post - Mitt Romney and Mormonism.
Post a Comment