Thursday, September 20, 2012

Obama or Romney: the only alternative for a Christian?

Il Sussidiario - US ELECTIONS/ Obama or Romney: the only alternative for a Christian?
So why should I vote for you Mitt Romney? Should I ignore my own conscience regarding life to support you? Should I ignore my own conscience regarding traditional families to support you? Should I ignore my own conscience regarding promoting peace and not war to support you? Should I ignore my own conscience regarding defending the rights of working men and women to support you?
I understand the concerns of so many of friends regarding the current administration. In particular their redefining and reducing religious freedom to be solely freedom of worship is something that deeply, deeply concerns me. I do not support, I cannot support, nor will I vote for Barack Obama. That is not even a consideration of mine.
So if we cannot in good conscience vote for either Mitt Romney or Barack Obama, what are some morally acceptable options for Catholics or Christians? Not voting for the office of President but for lesser offices is one of them. Why would a person choose not to vote for the office of President? They would choose not to vote because they feel they are too proximate to (intrinsic) evil by supporting either (a Democrat or Republican) candidate. That is a decision that every citizen must make for themselves. Good Catholics (or Christians) can agree to disagree about what to do based upon their own prudential judgment and understanding of this situation. Let me be crystal clear here though. I encourage folks to exercise their right to vote because that is our moral responsibility to act as citizens. So what other (good) options do we have? CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To reject to vote for either Romney or Obama is tantamount to making them objectionable because they are morally equivalent evils according to your conscience. Are they morally equivalent? Can a Catholic vote for a lesser of evils? I believe the Church supports this in the Catechism as well as elsewhere. Which still leave you open to the charge of (potentially) allowing a greater evil to continue to inhabit the White House.